Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Day 61 - True Sacrifice

As I celebrated the Memorial Day wweekend, I found myself pondering more and more the idea of true sacrifice. It is interesting to think on the ways God brought thhis to the forefront of my thoughts. Let me give you a few examples...

On Saturday, I opened an envelop handed to me by a friend. In it was a sacrifical gift of significant amount to be used as missionary support. I could only sit and weep at this precious and sacrifical gift given for my sake! I commented to a frriend that this was the image of true sacrifice! This friend replied with tears and praise to God!

Last week, and today, I have had wonderful friends packing my as I close up my Arcadia house and become, in effect, homeless for the next 2 months. Beth, Jillian, Debbie, and Loretta do not have to do this, but they do it out of sacrifical love for me...which again is overwhelming to me.

Driving is something most take for granted, but being as it is that I cannot drive, I have to rely on the generosity of others. I was made mindful of the sacrifice those who drive me around make each and every time I get into a car. I had many friends give of their time this weekeend and over my entire life! I thank God for the true sacrifice of these people.

Sacrifice is laying down our will to do the will of another. True sacrificee is laying down our will and our self in order to embody the will of God and actively do His Kingdom worrk here on earth. I wonder how many times we all have found ourselves saying "MAYBE" (which is a blog all its own) "I DON'T HAVE TIME" "IF YOU ONLY KNEW WHAT I AM GOING THROUGH", or " I DON'T LIKE DOING THAT or CAN'T DO THAT." All of these phrases have something in common...they are all centered on I. Jesus taught us to pray, "Thy Kingdom come THY will be done, on earth as it is in Heaven." This is the perfect example of true sacrificee and something that I want to strive towards now and always. This life is not about our human desires or earthly wants; it is about living every day in a manner or attitude of true sacrifice.

I am blessed to know people of such a life, and I pray that I may someday come to the fullness of sacrifical giving. Let us ask ourselves, what are we putting above the will of God? What do we think when someone asks for help or is in need...is it one of the "I-centered phrases"? Today, let us begin to seek to truly sacrifice for another.

Lord, I pray for your strength to sacrifice my will for yours. Help me to show your love in all I do! AMEN!

No comments: