Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Day 96 = Top 10 Memories of Asbury College

So here I sit at Solomon's Porch: a place that has become like my second home while here at seminary. I was reminded this mmorning of the fact that I only have two more Tuesdays to come and visit here before I graduate. With this in mind, I have decided to share a couple of my most cherished memories from my time here in the Lexington-Wilmore metro area..HAHA!

10. Learning that coffeemate is indeed flamable! We had many times to perfect this, and perfect it we did. Once, while "experimenting", we got a flame that went higher than the roof of our dorm. People saw it on the other side. IMPRESSIVE

9. Charlie doing a belly dance in Hughes Auditoriam. As scary as this one sounds, it was very funny! It was during the Talent Show. Charlie was dressed in his finest...t-shirt with a fish and flag on it and camo suspenders. He was styling! He was the back-up dancer (look out Arthur Murray) for the group which sang "Man of Constant Sorrow" (insert your own inference). During his dancing, a lady leaned over to me and whispered..."look at his belly flop..it is really going!" Need I say more!

8. Rafting down the Galley. I had the opportunity to raft down the Galley River with my roommate freshman year. This was an amazing experience of which I lived to tell!

7. Learning to shoot a bow and aarow. Like me, you may be wondering what business a blind person has with a weapon? Well one of my friends was determined to teach me to shoot. I did well, though I would not say that I have mastered the art!

6. Cheesecake with Karen Begley. Karen would have some of us over to her house to test her new cheesecake recipes. Let me just say, she should go into the cheesecake business! (Karen if you are reading this, you should come to Lex before I go to Prague...and bring your springform pans!)

5. My first trip to Meijer. This one is quite funny! My family (Stan and Marna Wiggam) took me out for dinner in Lexington toward the end of my freshman year. They needed to stop at Miejer and I had never been there...so of course, I went exploring. I went to the watch counter in the jewelry department. There, I looked at some watches which I had to bend over to see. I stood up and took a step back, and found myself facing the ceiling. You see, a man of Asian descent dressed in a bright green track suit had knelt down behind me to look at watches. I had no idea! I scared the life out of him and now have a nercous twitch that comes when I see Meijer!!!

4. The Office. We had a movie night in Charlie's room. On this particular night, he excused himself to go to the restroom. The movie ended, and the lights came on, and Charlie was nowhere to be found. We opened the door to hear a faint sound of snoring! The bathroom door was propped open and the sound was coming from in there. Charlie was asleep in his Office...he had been there for more than an hour!

3. Charlie's car door. Charlie had a 1981 Ford crown vic...it was one sweet boat, I mean car! We had gone to get gas at the Kroger in Nicholasville. As Charlie got back in the car from pumping the gas, the door hinge came loose and the door began to come off. All of this happened with a huge line of people waiting impatiently. It took Charlie a minute to realize what had happened, and from that point on, he could not use that door.

2. Dinner with the Moultons. The Moulton family and I grew close during my four years at the college. Many times after church, they would have me over for lunch. Nothing is better than a home-cooked meal and wonderful company. They are sweet friends who make life better for all they know!

1. Triple D and the Boyz. My freshman year at Asbury College (now University), I began singing in the Glee Club. Dr. Donald Don Donaldson (no joke) was our director. People said we looked alike cause we had the same white hair. During spring break, we toured through the south. It was during this tour that I was made older. While at a stop at the Wendy's somewhere in TN, Dr. D ordered a senior coffee. I was in line behind him and was offered the same senior coffee (mind you I was 18 at the time)! Needless to say that joke has lived on from that day to this.

These memories are not the only ones I have, I have so many and will share others as I go along these days. Hope these made you laugh, and think. Most of all, I hope it encouages you to make and record memories of your own!

Lord, thank you for all the many good times I have enjoyed! You have blessed me with friends and experiences which have touched me and shaped my life. May I always look back with fondness to the blessings I have experienced, and may I continue to make many memories! AMEN!

No comments: