Sunday, January 7, 2007

The Albino Hex

I am still in a surreal place in my thought processes. I am trying to come to grips with the fact that I am standing on ground that was trod by the patriarch, David, and Jesus!

Many fantastic things have happened on this trip of which I will write later. One thing that has happened has been that I have discovered that albinism in a Middle Eastern country is not s for about 4 vso much a curse as it is in the states as it is a blessing. GOSH! I had lived my life thinking of all the many things that I could not do, like fly a plane, shoot a gun, climb a mountain, and drive a car. However, never in my wildest dreams did I ever think that I would be able to repel pick-pockets. YES...that is right, I have a new found power; I like to call it the Albino Hex!

We were in Bethlehem, and in Bethlehem, street children are rampent...like the pidgeons in Venice. They will do most anything to try to rob you. Two such children followed a few of us for about 4 blocks in downtown Bethlehem. One was bold enough to stick her hand in the back pocket of my professor. To his avail, he could not deter her. However, when she tried to do the same to me, I opened my eyes as wide as they would go, deepened my voice, removed my hat (exposing my white facade), and loudly and gruffly said NO! She went running and screaming in fear, and we did not have one more problem with pick pockets the rest of our time in Bethlehem.

Who knew...the blind boy is instant pick-pocket repellent! I guess we all have to be good for something...it is a gift from God!

No comments: