Monday, January 22, 2007

Petra: A Wonder of the World

During the last three days, I had the privolege of traveling in Jordan. One of our stops was in Petra: my favorite stop! For those who do not know, Petra is the city that was used in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. And yes...I got to see the "Treasury" used in the movie. Unfortunately there was no knight or grail to be found!

Ptra is breath-taking! How the Nabatean bedouins carved such beautiful buildings is beyond me...and they carved them from the top down! As if this were not enough, I rode a camel in Petra!!! I felt like Lawrence of Arabia. However, I learned two valuable lessons on the camel. One, flex your but muscles when sitting down on the camel as the hump is more pointy than it appears! DON'T ASK HOW I LEARNED THAT! Second, they are an animal that I believe God created in committee. I mean there is no other animal as unique as a camel. What animal gurgles its own spit for hours and sounds like it is going to gag itself? What animal naturally looks like it has the mange? The answer to both is THE CAMEL!

However, it was great fun and an experience I won't soon forget! Petra was full of amazing things! We even experienced a God moment when we had to leave a day early. We were supposed to be in Petra on Sunday. On Saturday night, the south of Jordan received over a meter of snow, and Petra along with all the roads in the south was closed! We would have been stranded.

Petra...what an amazing place! It is yet another place where I can say...I came, I saw, I conquered!

No comments: