Friday, May 21, 2010

Day 72 - The Rains come down

It is storming outside as I sit and run around like a chicken with my head cut off inside. As I have sat here listening to the low rumbling thunder, I have thought about how we view rain.,,and boy am I experiencing everyone of these now!

First, we often see rain as an opportunity for nurishment and growth. Rain provides the much needed nutirents for plants to grow. I have begun to more deeply and intently study the Bible...the rain for my soul. I have found that it is providing the much needed nutrients (knowledge and wisdom) for my spiritual growth!

Secondly, we sometimes see rain as chaos...as in the storms which often accompany it. I am in the midst of a storm of stress even as I type this sentence! Tomorrow I graduate from seminary! It is hard to believe yet another chapter in my life is closing and another is opening. The tumult of all that is happening in this time of transition is beginning to take its toll. I have to cling to God more and more as the chaotic rains come crashing down around me.

Third, rain can be seen as a means of cleansing. It is, some say, the most pure water one can find. It washes away impurities and can wash away stains of any sort. It reminds me of the cleansing God did in the wateers of my baptism. I have been thinking about that beginning point of this amazing journey. It is hard to believe where God has led me...I AM TRULY HUMBLED!

Finally, rain can be seen as the precurser to something new and fresh and good. "At the end of the storm is a golden sky." This is one of my favorite lines from the song "You'll Never Walk Alone" from Carosel. It reminds me that there is something good coming. I am experiencing that...to a lesser degree. I know that God has something good on the other side of this transition...I know that I will still have connections and deep friendships here, but there is a golden sky waiting for me in Prague!

How do you see the rain...the storms of life?

LORD, thank you for the rain...and for the spiritual rain I feel even now! Grant me your peace and strength to walk through the storms of life...with you by my side! AMEN!

No comments: